UW-Madison is launching a search for the role of Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
A 15-member committee, chaired by Political Science Professor John Zumbrunnen, is inviting applications and nominations for the position announced in November by Chancellor Rebecca Blank.
“UW-Madison is a complete package of academics, research, and out-of-classroom learning– in one of the most amazing settings in higher education,” says Zumbrunnen.
“We think this is a unique opportunity to shepherd the Wisconsin Experience and our amazing student body.”
The vice chancellor for student affairs will be the university’s chief student affairs officer and responsible for overseeing and coordinating a wide range of student services. The largest units are the Division of Student Life and Dean of Students Office(led by the Dean of Students), the Wisconsin Union, the Division of Recreational Sports and University Health Services.
The vice chancellor model is one employed by nearly all of UW–Madison’s Big Ten peers and all other UW System four-year degree granting schools. A similar role existed on campus in the 1980s and 1990s.
The committee will benefit from the assistance of a national search firm to help recruit talented and qualified applicants.
Finalists will be interviewed by the committee as well as by the chancellor and other senior campus leaders. The committee anticipates that a short list will be provided to Chancellor Rebecca Blank by spring and that interviews will be completed before the end of the semester, to allow for student input in the selection.
A web page with information about the search is being established at provost.wisc.edu/leadership-searches.htm.
For questions or nomination information, contact Allison Golden at email@example.com.
Members of the committee will include:
- John Zumbrunnen, committee chair, and chair of the Department of Political Science
- Aaron Bird Bear, assistant dean for student diversity programs, School of Education
- Iffat Bhuiyan, Wisconsin Union President and student representative
- Sue Duhr, finance and budget manager, Division of Student Life
- Jacob Gardner, student representative
- Gabe Javier, assistant dean and director, Multicultural Student Center
- John Lucas, assistant vice chancellor for communications
- Nancy Lynch, associate vice chancellor for legal affairs
- Chris McIntosh, deputy athletic director
- Brittany Ota, student representative
- Lauren Papp, professor, School of Human Ecology
- Mary Possin, academic advising & student services, College of Engineering
- Jeff Russell, vice provost for lifelong learning; dean, Division of Continuing Studies
- Tracy Schroepfer, professor, School of Social Work
- Martinez White, alumnus representative